Why It Matters
Throughout her life, Mary Kay Ash showed others how to live and how to give. She gave hope to women who lacked opportunity, self-esteem and financial support.
Now her legacy of love lives on through The Mary Kay Foundation℠. Founded in 1996, this nonprofit foundation supports research dedicated to finding cures for cancers that affect women and supports programs committed to ending domestic violence. Although she died on Thanksgiving Day 2001, her legacy continues through the Mary Kay Ash Foundation.
Since its inception, The Mary Kay Foundation℠ has awarded over $92 million dollars!
Nearly $26 million dollars has been given to help fund innovative research studies for cancers such as ovarian, uterine, cervical, and breast cancer and has granted over $46 million to provide financial assistance to women’s shelters and other nonprofit agencies that share in the determination to stop violence against women. Due to the generous administrative support from Mary Kay, Inc., the Mary Kay Ash Foundation is able use more that 97% of the donated dollars for its causes, with less than 3% going to administrative expenses. In 2020 The Foundation awarded almost $ 3 million to the causes it supports. Some examples:
ABOUT THE MARY KAY CHARITY GOLF CLASSIC WHY IT MATTERS GOLF COMMITTEE ADVISORY BOARD
• Awarded 50 domestic violence shelters received Emergency COVID-19 grants for $20,000 each, for a total of $1 million.
• Granted an additional $100,000 to four North Texas shelters and longtime partners during sexual assault prevention and awareness month.
• During global supply shortages, nearly 500 domestic violence shelters received hand sanitizer in response to the pandemic to help keep survivors safe
• In partnership with UT Southwestern Medical Center, TMKF committed $2.5 million over five years to create our first-ever International Postdoctoral Scholars in Cancer Research Fellowship. Grants provide gifted researchers from around the world with a two-year grant to research in Dallas and a return grant to continue their research efforts in their home country. To date, 8 researchers have received fellowship grants.
• Awarded $1 million in innovative cancer research grants to 10 domestic researchers studying cancers affecting women.
• Donated $150,000 to CancerCare®*, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free programs and services to those affected by a cancer diagnosis through its Touching Hearts Program.
• Donated $25,000 to Cancer Support Community North Texas in support of programs and services for those facing a cancer diagnosis and their immediate support systems in the D/FW and surrounding areas.
© 2022 Mary Kay Charity Golf Classic. All rights reserved.
Mary Kay Inc. is the major corporate sponsor of The Mary Kay Foundation. Because of the Company’s generous support, more than 97 percent of dollars donated by supporters like you can go directly to programs and research. Less than three percent goes to administrative and overhead costs.