Why It Matters
Throughout her life, Mary Kay Ash showed others how to live and how to give. She gave hope to women who lacked opportunity, self-esteem and financial support.
Now her legacy of love lives on through The Mary Kay Foundation℠. Founded in 1996, this nonprofit foundation supports research dedicated to finding cures for cancers that affect women and supports programs committed to ending domestic violence. Although she died on Thanksgiving Day 2001, her legacy continues through the Foundation.
Since its inception, The Mary Kay Foundation℠ has awarded over $73 million dollars!
Nearly $26 million dollars has been given to help fund innovative research studies for cancers such as ovarian, uterine, cervical, and breast cancer and has granted over $46 million to provide financial assistance to women’s shelters and other nonprofit agencies that share in the determination to stop violence against women. Due to the generous administrative support from Mary Kay, Inc., the Foundation is able use more that 97% of the donated dollars for its causes, with less than 3% going to administrative expenses. Here are some examples of 2015 charitable activities:
ABOUT THE MARY KAY CHARITY GOLF CLASSIC WHY IT MATTERS GOLF COMMITTEE ADVISORY BOARD
• Granted 148 domestic violence shelters $20,000 each – a total of $2,960,000
• Granted an additional $75,875 to domestic violence shelters in hurricane ravaged areas
• Awarded 12 respected doctors and medical scientists $100,000 each in cancer research grants – a total of $1.2 million
• Donated $400,000 to CancerCare, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free professional help to people with cancer for its Touching Hearts program
• Raised $380,300 from donations at Mary Kay Seminar 2017
• Raised over $356,000 in the Mary Kay Charity Golf Classic
• Raised $123,600 in the Dallas 13th annual MK5K and $25,700 in the Northeast Branch 10th annual MK5K
• Raised more than $143,000 for the Team Up For Women! ® campaign
©2021 Mary Kay Charity Golf Classic. All rights reserved.
Mary Kay Inc. is the major corporate sponsor of The Mary Kay Foundation. Because of the Company’s generous support, more than 97 percent of dollars donated by supporters like you can go directly to programs and research. Less than three percent goes to administrative and overhead costs.